Scholarships for Undergraduate Study in UK
UK has always been a popular destination among international students when it comes to studying abroad. With its rich history, world-class faculty, hands-on approach, cutting-edge research and distinct fraternity, UK universities provide exemplary skills, high proficiency, and international exposure to their students.
Since their inception nearly 1000 years ago, Oxford and Cambridge have been at the forefront of research, technology, and education with real-world impact. While Oxford and Cambridge are Far Reach universities for many students, UK has abundant course options and universities to choose from and to receive quality education in your field of interest. For example, London School of Economics and London Business School are recognized globally for their business studies and experiential method of learning. Likewise, Kings College London and University of Bristol are well-regarded Liberal Arts colleges, providing the ideal coursework to pursue a career in humanities, social science, law, or international affairs. Similarly, University College London and Imperial College London are highly ranked for Clinical Medicine as, apart from the avant-garde coursework, these universities also provide international research and outreach opportunities.
Unlike US admission process, where you can apply to unlimited universities, UK has a limitation of applying to only 5 universities. The UK applications are submitted through UCAS. The competition is tough since the seats and number of universities, for international students, are restricted. We strongly advise applicants to research meticulously and apply to a good mix of 1 Reach, 2 Target, and 2 Safety universities.
For UK applications, applicants mainly need to focus on – overall grades, letters of recommendation, a personal statement, and an acceptable TOEFL/IELTS score. Cost of studying is an important factor while applying to UK universities. An international student who wants to pursue undergraduate degree from UK, might spend anywhere between 10,000 to 40,000 GBP per year depending on the program selection. For e.g. At the University of York, fees for BSc in Economics degree is 19,500 GBP whereas fees for BEng in Electronics Engineering is 24,000 GBP since engineering students will undergo practical training and use additional resources like lab equipment. Having said that, there are a number of funding options, such as bursaries, scholarships, grants, assistantships, and loans, offered by government institutions as well as universities to international students to help them pursue their academic goals.
Please refer the table below to find some relevant scholarships for applying to UK universities.
|Scholarship Name||Description||Eligibility||Scholarship Award||Deadline|
|Simon and June Li Scholarship by University of Oxford||Simon and June Li Scholarship enables outstanding students from India to pursue undergraduate studies in Humanities Division at University of Oxford.|
For Indian scholarship – Applicant
· Must be a national of and ordinarily resident in India;
· Must have exceptional academic merit
· Must demonstrate financial need
· The scholarship will cover Course fees and a grant towards living costs
· Only one scholarship is awarded every admission cycle
· Applicable on courses from all colleges within the Humanities Division at University of Oxford
|In February, after submitting the application via UCAS|
|Cambridge Trust Scholarship (undergraduate) by University of Cambridge||This scholarship is available to Undergraduate applicants with international fee status, in any subject. It is tenable at any College. International applicants who are offered a place by a Cambridge College will be sent an application form to apply for Cambridge Trust Scholarships|
The eligibility requirements for part-cost scholarships are:
· significant academic achievement and potential
· financial need
|Contribution towards University tuition fee|
Result will be informed in March/April.
|King’s India Scholarships by King’s College London||King’s College London offers King’s India Scholarships to deserving international students for pursuing their undergraduate degree programs at King’s College London|
· Must be citizen and permanent resident of foreign nation at the time of application
· Have submitted all the required application materials by the funding deadline
· Offers up to $20,000 merit-based scholarships for international undergraduate degree-seeking students
· The scholarships are renewable for all four years of study based on satisfactory academic performance and full-time enrolment
|UCL Global Undergraduate Scholarship by University College London||The UCL Global Undergraduate Scholarship aims to enable and encourage international students from low income backgrounds to pursue full-time Undergraduate degree studies at UCL.|
Candidates can be from any country outside the UK but must fulfill the following criteria:
· be eligible to pay the overseas fee rate;
· come from a low income background;
· Have submitted an admission application for a full-time Undergraduate degree at UCL in 2022/23
· Up to 30 scholarships available
· 10 awards of full tuition fees & maintenance; 20 awards of full tuition fees
· The scholarship is tenable for the normal duration of the program
|End of April|
|Be Exceptional Scholarships by University of York||Be Exceptional scholarships are awarded to international students to support them to achieve their goals at the University of York.|
· Must be an international applicant
· You must intend to study a full-time undergraduate or a postgraduate taught master’s course.
|· Number of scholarships are awarded from £2,500 to £7,500 tuition fees discount|
Round 1: January to March
Round 2: April to June
|President’s Undergraduate Scholarships by Imperial College London||President’s Undergraduate scholarship is for those who are both academically excellent and/or in financial need, and undergraduate bursaries are awarded on financial circumstances only. The scholarships are funded entirely by philanthropic donations from generous alumni and supporters of the College.||Academic departments nominate scholarship recipients after perusal of UCAS application, references and any entry tests or interviews associated with the department to assess academic merit and potential.|
· There are up to 112 President’s Undergraduate Scholarships available for students starting their studies in 2022-23
· Each President’s scholar will receive £1,000 for each undergraduate year of study (for a maximum of four years)
· Scholars will be invited to apply to the Presidents Ambassadors scheme
|End of March|
|Edinburgh Global Undergraduate Mathematics Scholarships by The University of Edinburgh|
Scholarships are available to Mathematics students of outstanding ability who have International/EU fee status for the academic session 2022-2023.
Applicants should have applied to the University of Edinburgh through the University and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) but do not need to have received an offer in order to begin the scholarship application process.
· Scholarships are awarded to applicants with International/EU fee status who are accepted for full-time admission to an undergraduate degree program offered by the School of Mathematics at the University of Edinburgh.
· This scholarship is competitive and based on academic merit.
· The scholarships are worth £5,000 per year and are tenable for the duration of the program of study, subject to satisfactory academic progress.
· A student is deemed to have made Satisfactory Progress in each year if there has been a formal School decision of either “Progress” or “Conditional Progression”, without the student needing to repeat a year.
|Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application by the end of May.|
|Warwick Undergraduate Global Excellence Scholarship by University of Warwick||We believe there should be no barrier to talent. That’s why we are committed to offering a scholarship that makes it easier for gifted, ambitious international learners to pursue their academic interests at one of the UK’s most prestigious universities.|
. Be self-funded
. Be classed as an ‘overseas’ or ‘international-fee paying’ student for tuition fee purposes
. Have applied for a full-time undergraduate course at the University of Warwick
|250 scholarships will be awarded to exceptional students who hold an offer to study at the University of Warwick||Submit a scholarship application by March|
|University of Birmingham India Outstanding Achievement Scholarships by University of Birmingham|
The University of Birmingham is pleased to announce the award of 5 scholarships of £2,500 for Indian students applying for entry to an undergraduate program at the University starting September 2022.
The scholarships will be awarded to the highest performing students starting their University of Birmingham program in new academic year.
· The student must be entering the first year of an undergraduate program based at the Birmingham UK campus
· Meet the academic conditions of their offer to the program to retain the scholarship
· Be domiciled in India
· Be classed by the University as an overseas fee payer for tuition fee purposes and be able to pay the outstanding tuition fees not covered by the scholarship
· Have sufficient funds to cover the full cost of living at the University of Birmingham, plus any visa/travel expenses associated with studying in the UK
|The scholarship is for 5 x £2,500 awards towards tuition fees (for the first year only) of a full-time undergraduate degree program at the University|
Submit scholarship application through one of our local representatives by the deadline, End of July
Decisions will be announced in August, and the scholarships will be awarded upon enrolment in September
|Means-Tested Undergraduate Scholarship by University of Leeds|
The UK undergraduate means-tested scholarships are awarded to selected students from low-income households who also meet the eligibility criteria and are entering Leeds as full-time, level one undergraduates in the following September.
Candidate will also have access to one-to-one support and advice sessions, group workshops, mentoring opportunities, social events and monthly newsletters updating you on relevant activity on and off campus through the Plus Program.
· Have no prior experience of higher education
· Be a UK student applying for entry in 2022 into level one on a full-time funded undergraduate degree course at the University of Leeds
· Be liable for the full UK undergraduate fees without receiving a subsidy from outside the University
· Come from a household with an annual income which has been assessed as being £42,875 per year or below.
· Worth £3,000 a year for three years
· The scholarships do not have to be paid back and are in addition to the financial support you can receive from the government (such as the tuition fee loan or maintenance loan).
|Application closes in May|
List of scholarships you can consider while applying to UK Universities
Hope you find this information useful and channelize your energy in the right direction such that you receive deserving financial aid and get admitted to your dream university. Also, please be mindful that scholarship details are subject to change. Therefore, start your application early, explore the university website thoroughly, and list down the deadlines and other requirements so that you do not miss the opportunity of availing a good scholarship.
About the Author:
Nimisha Padliya is an Admissions Specialist with extensive experience in undergraduate and graduate admissions. Over the years, she has helped hundreds of students in securing admissions to their dream universities. Nimisha is a post-graduate in Electrical & Computer Engineering from North Carolina State University, Raleigh, US.
Scholarly helps ambitious international students locate the right universities and courses to pursue their education. We provide college credit courses and research papers to students that want to learn more and differentiate themselves. We help students develop and present their best version to their dream university. Our recommendations are based on the student’s field of interest, academic performance, financial resources and career plans. We provide test preparation classes from the best teachers to help improve scores and thus the prospects for admission. We also assist students with their visa and loan applications to reduce the anxiety associated with international education.
For additional questions about international education, choice of majors, university selection or admission strategies please visit the Questions section of our website.